My Favorite Go-To Menu for a Successful Dinner Party
I haven't blogged for a long time, and this one is going to be brief but DELISH!! I've been entertaining a lot lately, and this Dinner Party Menu is always a big hit, so I wanted to share it with you.
BRAZILIAN SEAFOOD STEW
APPETIZERS: make it simple
- manchego cheese (or your favorite)
- gluten free crackers (I love Mary's Gone Crackers or Milton's)
- marcona almonds
SALAD: Orange, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette (serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
*Whisk all ingredients together or blend together in a blender.
- 10 oz baby spinach leaves or spinach/Spring mix combo
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- sprinkle of thinly sliced red onion, optional
*Toss the greens together with the dressing and other salad ingredients.
MAIN:Brazilian Seafood Stew The original recipe came from Epicurious but I have tweaked it a bit.Serves 6-8
- 2 T coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 pounds white fish fillets (I use wild cod, but snapper, halibut or orange roughy would work as well), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 pounds uncooked medium-large wild shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 T coconut or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-2 diced jalapeno
- 2 cups chopped peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), whatever your preference
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I use more because I like it hot & spicy!)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes (I usually use the canned as it added more liquid)
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil and lime juice in a large bowl. Add fish and sprinkle with salt and pepper; stir to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium heat. add onion, bell peppers, garlic, jalapeño and crushed red pepper. Sauté 5 minutes or until soft.
- Mix in tomatoes, coconut milk, half of cilantro and half of scallions.
- Add shrimp and fish with marinade. Simmer until opaque, about 5 minutes. If you need to make it more "brothy" just add more coconut milk and/or canned diced tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to individual bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro and scallions.
- *Offer a few hot sauces so your guests can spice it up as they desire!
You can serve this alone to make it "low-carb" or add rice and beans to it as well. My hubbs likes a side of "Pamela's" brand gluten free corn bread too!
DESSERT: No time to make anything? Grab an assortment of dark chocolate and call it done and YUM!